When a new lot is created that is less than 5 acres in size, approval from the Health Department is required before the split can be recorded.  Health Department approval is also required for all new subdivisions.


Before dividing any property, contact the Planning Office at
740-380-9634 ext. 28.


New lots must have at least sixty (60) feet of public road frontage and be a minimum of 80,000 sq. ft. (1.836 acres) that is not in the designated 100-year flood zone or has been previously strip-mined or disturbed.  This is to insure there is adequate space for a sewage treatment system plus room for future replacement.


For existing homes, the new lot lines must be a minimum of 10 feet from any part of the sewage and water systems.


Flag all property lines and contact the Environmental Health division for a property split evaluation (Property Split Evaluation Form). There is a nominal fee for this service. A soil analyses by a certified soil scientist or from the Health Department is also required.


The Health Department will stamp the survey once it has been approved and stamped by the Engineers Office.


Have a deed created and take it along with the approved survey to the Planning Office for approval.


Record new split at the courthouse.